Maelström Kayaks, Vital 166 - SOLD!


Yes, it got me! I got it!

I'll be posting more about Maelströmkayak and following reviews and comments of other Maelström paddlers.

We are the new kids on the block as these boats are fresh on the market.

I bought my Maelström Vital 166 at Ottawa Paddle Shack in May 2010. We need more choices of higher end models around here.

When will we see the Romany sea kayaks in our stores? I love the Romany S but can't find any around here in the National Capital Region of Canada (Ottawa/Ontario, Gatineau/Quebec) Cross fingers. Let's be greedy.

2012 update: Good news: Looks like Maelströmkayak will have some new kayak models coming out in 2012, the Forvag and the Flod. I can't wait to see what new features and design changes they've got!

Sad news: Kayak designers and manufacturer, Boreal Design in Quebec, Canada declared bankruptcy in 2012. Boreal Design was manufacturing Maelströmkayak design models the Vaag 174 and the Vital 166.  After the bankruptcy, Boreal Design was sold to another kayak manufacturer, along with Maelströmkayak's rights to their Vaag and Vital kayak models. Causing much confusion for consumers, and causing much surprise, shock, and dismay for me. Now these kayak models (the Vaag and Vital) are being produced by another manufacturer and are no longer manufactured in Quebec, or in Canada.

According to the president of Maelströmkayak, he will continue to do business to design and produce top quality, high performance kayaks with new Maelströmkayak designs, the Forvag and Flod. It will be an interesting story to follow. Especially for me. I own an original Maelstrom Vital 166, which I purchased the first year they came out.

Happy paddes!
The BaffinPaddler

Comments

Popular Posts

Poison Ivy and Your Pet!

One cigarette butt contaminates up to 50 liters of water

The magic of camping and kayaking at Bon Echo Provincial Park, Mazinaw Rock, Ontario, Canada! Get your bug suit on!

Cycling one of America's most beautiful beaches: Fort De Soto Park, Florida

Does my Ironman Tremblant T-shirt make me look fat?