People who make your day . . . in a good way . . . and the Greenland paddle connection!

Ever have someone really make your day with something so simple? Like one little innocent comment that really makes you laugh and think?  I just did. It made me wonder why we work so hard to have fun sometimes.

I was out tooling around some water with my "skinny stick" (Greenland paddle) in a sweet sleek sea kayak when a guy in a parked houseboat sipping a beer with some friends called out, "Hey. What's that thing you're paddling with? The stick I use to stir my cake mix with is bigger than that!"

"Ha! It's a Greenland paddle", I replied.

"Can you get anywhere with that!?"

"Yep!"

"Why do you paddle with it!?"

"Well, lots of reasons":
  • "The long narrow blade of the Greenland paddle doesn't catch the wind like a big spoon, and spreads the pull on the water over a longer area. A big bladed paddle has a bigger pull on the water over a shorter wider area and puts more strain on your body."
  • "My Greenland paddle let me keep paddling when my injured right shoulder was healing and I haven't reinjured it as long as I stick with my Greenland paddle." (See: Let's talk yoga, a Greenland paddle and healing a wrecked shoulder.)
  • "These paddles were invented by the Inuit people of Greenland propelling their kayaks through big seas and wind, sometimes with a harpooned walrus in tow! They knew what they were doing!" 
After I gave him a few reasons why I paddle with a Greenland paddle, the real reason hit me and it was the most important one:

"When I paddle with my Greenland paddle, it makes me feel connected to the water and my kayak."

Now here's the funny, ironic part of this whole Greenland paddle thing, a skinny stick that always stirs curiosity to newcomers to the "stick", and the thing that made the guy and his crew laugh out loud:

"Plus, you can make one of these things for about 9 bucks! Now my expensive $500 Werner fiberglass paddle is my spare paddle!"

I've probably got one of the longest skinniest Greenland paddles around at 8 foot 8 inches long, and 2 3/4 inches at the widest part of the blade. And I love it!

More and more, I see people making their Greenland paddles with wider and wider blades for more power. Hey, is that cheating? Is it still a Greenland paddle?

Learn more about Greenland paddles at :  Adanac Paddles, Ontario, Canada or see: Greenland Paddle Makers

The Greenland paddle movement is growing! They are making a big comeback and there are more and more converts to the "stick"!

The GP connects you to so many things
  • Yourself
  • The Water and what it connects to
  • Other people
  • Great things you keep discovering
You can add to this list I'm sure!

Have you joined the GP community . . . yet!?
Happy paddling!
The BaffinPaddler

Comments

  1. Interesting post! During my recent paddle on Beaver Dam Lake (NC), I spotted two kayakers paddling with Greenland paddles. I also wondered about how these "sticks" handle versus more traditional paddle shapes like my Werner and Aqua-Bound paddles. Would like to "borrow" a Greenland paddle and give it a try before I am "sold" on them. BTW, how are you able to get "yourself" in so many of your blog photos? Most bloggers stay pretty much "off camera" since they are the ones taking the photos! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,

    Greenland paddles come in so many different sizes and shapes. Best is to have one custom make for you and like you suggest, test paddle a few. I prefer shoulderless. I tried out 8 different models before I bought one made by another paddler who had made 15. Some people like to make their own. It's a lot of work and dust!

    Happy GP shopping. We are lucky to have great Greenland paddle resources in Canada!

    Regarding pics. I paddle with people who can snap and shoot!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. The first time I tried a Greenland paddle, I hated it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "When I paddle with my Greenland paddle, it makes me feel connected to the water and my boat."

    That's one of the best insights I've seen.

    I gave up Euro-style (read plastic) paddles a few years ago. The Greenland paddles are so much quieter in the water and efficient. And like you say, they provide me with a connection to water and the area I'm paddling. What can I say, "They're mystical."

    Great blog. I'll have to check in more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dave! The Weathered Paddle is a great GP site. I'll have to add you to my Greenland Paddle Makers page too. Are you also building a blog page?

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, and thanks. I have added a blog to my site. I'm just getting it up and functioning. So much to do, so little time :-)

    http://theweatheredpaddle.com/the-weathered-paddle-blog.html

    I enjoy your blog. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Poison Ivy and Your Pet!

One cigarette butt contaminates up to 50 liters of water

The magic of camping and kayaking at Bon Echo Provincial Park, Mazinaw Rock, Ontario, Canada! Get your bug suit on!

Cycling one of America's most beautiful beaches: Fort De Soto Park, Florida

Does my Ironman Tremblant T-shirt make me look fat?